A lot of people walk in the door and ask me whether they can appeal a case that they plead guilty to 15, 20 years ago. Or whether they can get an expunction or somehow get it off their record or reopen the case. The quick answer to that, unfortunately, is no.

That’s why it’s important that you investigate and really do your diligence when you decide to plead guilty. There are consequences. It lasts with you for the rest of your life (unless you get a pardon, and that’s hard to get).

So consult with a lawyer and understand that what you do at the time of the guilty plea will affect you for the rest of your life.